Jon's Reading List
As part of my job I read - a LOT - and I come across tons of information that doesn't rise to the level of a dedicated post/article, but still might be of interest. Below you'll find links to articles you might find interesting which you can either ignore or read, your choice! Enjoy.
- Apartment Rents Rise; Perks, Discounts Fade (Wall Street Journal, April 24, 2021) - rents have largely recovered nationwide.
- Biden Proposal Would Close Longtime Real-Estate Tax Loophole (Wall Street Journal, April 28, 2021) - About proposed elimination of 1031 exchanges.
- America's Hottest Housing Markets (Wall Street Journal, April 28. 2021) - Burlington, NC is #11 on the list
- Biden Administration Seeks to Ease Zoning Rules (Wall Street Journal, April 7, 2021) - Strict zoning rules and NIMBY-ism (not in my backyard) make it difficult to build workforce and affordable housing - the Biden administration wants to do something about it.
- US Housing Market is Nearly 4 Million Homes Short of Buyer Demand (Wall Street Journal, April 15, 2021) - Article points out that this is a 52% increase since 2018.
- SmartRent Valued at More Than $2 Billion in Deal (Wall Street Journal, April 22, 2021) - "SmartRent.com Inc., which sells smart home-technology systems to apartment-building owners and developers, intends to go public through a merger with a special-purpose acquisition company that values the property-tech startup at $2.2 billion....SmartRent, whose technology is in use in about 185,000 apartments in the U.S. and Canada, said it would merge with Fifth Wall Acquisition Corp."
- Greensboro Apartment Community Sells for $44 Million (Triad Business Journal, April 26, 2021) - "Southwood Realty of Gastonia bought Bridford West, a 264-unit community on 20 acres at 598 Eagle Road in west Greensboro near the West Wendover Avenue corridor, from Brookview Realty Group of Uniondale, New York."
- Peters announces plans for new apartment community in High Point (Triad Business Journal, April 28, 2021) - "Peters Development has announced another expansion project coming soon to High Point. The High Point-based company said it was near completion of plans for Peters Village, a 108-unit multifamily project on 4.5 acres at 3621 Peters Court – near the intersection of Skeet Club Road, Wendover Avenue and Eastchester Drive. The community will have four, three-story buildings."
- Different partnership plans different apartment community for Union Square Area (Triad Business Journal, April 14, 2021) - "One building, approximately 250 units, 500 parking spaces, 2,000 square feet of retail. At least 20% of the units priced below market value for low-income tenants. That's the plan made by Rea-South Elm LLC, a partnership including South Elm Development's Robert Chapman, Greensboro contractor Bob Isner, architect Seth Harry and corporate partner Red Ventures LLC that was approved last week by Greensboro City Council for 2.5 downtown acres along South Elm Street and Gate City Boulevard."